Friday, January 8, 2010

N.C.


N.C.
Originally uploaded by mj.whigginson
Sorry friends, it has been a while.

Work is crazy. I am eating less, and shaving more. But it is a good kind of slavery. For the cause! Plus I do get paid, so more of a self-imposed lack of social activity...which is ironic that 1/3 of my job is 'social media.' Working for a non-profit is an amazing experience, and the people I work with are incredible. Going from a 100,000+ organization to one that employs less than 8 was a refreshing adjustment, and I am finally doing work that I believe in. Banks are horrible soul crushing places that make the world a terrible place. If you can, find a credit union and strip the quasi-unitary terror system, but really that is just a suggestion.

Christmas went well. Less stressful than I expected - and at worst a good excuse to hang out with the people I love.

NYE Resulted in a keg fueled bout of broken balconies and juvenile antics, still it was good to get back to our roots - so to speak. Music was the key here, as I had compiled a monster playlist - dragged my tower speakers down the hall to my buddy's place and let the highlighted tunes from the 00s play out. What a decade, indeed.

Nat is having a show - "I think this is for you..." @ Launch Projects Gallery Feb 3rd-14th. Her work is incredible and I am really excited for her. There is nothing greater in life than to see the one you love succeed - and I am finally beginning to understand this. Her work can be seen here: http://nataliecastellino.daportfolio.com/

Ladytron is doing well, though she hates the excessive salt this city drops on its roads. This truly is a problem, and not just for dog owners. Salt levels offset groundwater and poison the urban forest. The run off degrades the water in our lake - so it always makes me bare a frustrated smile when people complain about the 'state of Lake Ontario' when really they helped put it here. Wait for summer, fuckers. I understand the ice=bad equation, but overkill=plain stupid - so do that math people.

Music for the times: Bat For Lashes, Gail Berry, Wilderness of Manitoba, Basket of Figs, The Rural Alberta Advantage, The Antlers, Santogold, The Black Keys, Headlights and The XX

A good mix of old and new, upbeat and lowkey, beauty and decay and all that good human-soul exposed tugging at your heartstrings. Check them out, you won't be in the least bit upset, I promise.

Take care, dear people. Be well.

I will try to post as much as I can, but if you aren't already, follow me on twitter where I am more inclined to keep it up and keep it brief (by design) @mjwhigginson

No comments: